Proper Running Form: Best Running Techniques for Beginners
keywords: Running Techniques for Beginners, beginner running techniques, proper running form
If you are interested in upgrading your strength and endurance, having a proper running form is essential and will give you a number of benefits.
You can reap multiple benefits from practicing proper running form such as:
- Fewer injuries
- Increased running efficiency
- Increase Speed
- Increases your endurance
- Pain and discomfort are reduced.
It is important to note that these benefits are significant if you wish to achieve success on your running journey. This article will share some running techniques for beginners in order to help you achieve the perfect running form.
6 Running Tips For Beginners
- Avoid over-striding. Striding is the act of running using giant steps. Whether you land on your toes or your heels, the location of this touch plays a massive role in the impact it can create on your body. Always look for the alignment of the ankle to the knee. The ankle is ideally flexing immediately above the knee, which is the correct form. When a runner over-stride, it gives the adverse effects of a slower speed and being prone to accidents.
- Keep your posture upright while you run. Running with the right posture can be a challenge for people who are used to spending most of their time seated. This is the reason that some runners have a bad posture every time they run. If you keep your back straight when running, your muscles are more likely to coordinate better, giving you maximum benefits.
- Relax. Do not overstress your muscles by quenching them or pulling themselves too hard. Breathe naturally, and let your blood flow freely.
- It is very important to strengthen your glutes and core muscle. Not many people realize this, but an intense glute and core muscle are very important since it improves your overall performance. Beginner runners should keep a constant ab and glute workout and always make sure they’re doing a good job in keeping their core strong. Keeping your core strong can help you avoid injuries that affect your knees, hips, and back as well as injuries that affect your lower body.
- Whenever you run, focus on straight forward motion. Running and turning alternately will result in a loss of stability and focus.
- Control your breathing. Breathing plays a large part in running. It helps create a pattern of inflow and outflow of oxygen to your body. A beginner running technique that I can suggest is to breathe in and out according to your running pattern. This will help your body to function better.
Proper running form
The running form differs from one person to another. There is no one type of running form that is the best for everyone. However, there are a few points that can help you achieve the perfect running condition for you.
- When you are running, keep your hands at your waist level. It is unnatural to position your hands above or straight down while running, so keep your hands near your waist to maintain your balance and to protect your hands from pressure.
- The best thing to do is relax your hands. Swing them if you want, but do it naturally. When we jog, our hands move with our running pattern. Keep it natural by swinging it freely and avoid tightening it into a fist. It is similar to the way you keep your hand relaxed when you are holding an egg, and you do not want to break it.
- Maintain good posture. Your shoulders must be level, your back straight, and your head must be up. Your shoulders must be level, your back straight, and you must keep your head up. If you want to determine whether you are running with a good posture, you can evaluate whether or not your body is comfortable while you are running. If you experience pain while you are running, you need to assess your posture.
- In case you did not know, bouncing causes your body to move up and down in an up-and-down motion, which wastes your energy. Preserve your energy by bouncing less or by not bouncing at all.
- It is recommended to keep your arms in a sideways position. Don’t place your hand anywhere else than sideways since it will prevent your arm from possibly hitting a rigid metal or any possible danger.
Usually, beginners do not usually run straightaway, especially the ones who are new to running. However, these are the essential points that you have to keep in mind when you run. It is very common for them to begin off with a jog and finish with a sprint. Here is a list of beginner running techniques for jogging, sprinting, and even running on a treadmill.
- You should breathe slowly and look forward while you are jogging.
- Be careful not to slouch your back or tilt your head downward.
- When you are drawing your shoulders up and back, broaden your chest and keep it lifted as you pull your shoulders down and back.
- It is best to use a comfortable arm swing and to keep your hands loose. Try not to go through your arms before your body.
- Avoid hitting the ground with the heel of your foot if you want to prevent injury to your lower body. This will allow your foot to land directly under your hip as you advance your body forward. A heel strike may slow you down and cause more stress on your knees.
- You can lean slightly from the waist while engaging your core.
- Your chest should be lifted, and your shoulders should soften and pull away from the ears.
- Make sure you take short, quick steps to save energy.
- It is recommended that you land softly and silently to reduce the risk of injury.
- As you step, lift the thigh so that the floor is parallel.
- Your elbows must be bent at a 90-degree angle, and you must pull them directly back and forth with an exaggerated motion in order to move them over a wider range of movements than by jogging.
- Raise your hands as high as your chin and then return your hands to the bottom of your back.
- You should try your best not to rotate your torso or take your arms across your body’s midline.
Running on a Treadmill
- Keep an upright spine and keep your shoulders directly over your hips at all times.
- Relax your arms and look straight ahead. Do not look at the monitor or downwards.
- Just take a few steps at a time.
- It is not uncommon for you to lose your stride when you run on a treadmill, as overflow will cause you kick in the front of the treadmill.
- Unless you are concerned about your balance, do not hang on the rails while you run.
If you know the right running technique for beginners you will be able to prevent injuries to the body as well as enjoy the fruits of running safely. Running is a great workout if you practice it correctly. Make sure to always keep proper form throughout the running process.