One of the healthiest forms of cardio is running. There is no specific time of day to run, but there are many benefits to running at night safely. Running at night may be a good idea for someone who doesn’t like to wake up early or who usually has a busy morning.
In spite of this, if you choose to run either during the day or at night, here are some tips to help you decide.
You should run in the morning if:
● Your an early riser
● Not busy during the day.
● Your mornings are filled with energy.
On the other hand, you should run in the evening if:
● A busy schedule is a fact of life for you.
● Sleeping poorly at night,
● You’re less energetic in the morning.
● Your day is filled with a lot of work.
There is no one exercise that fits all. It is just a matter of choosing what option you prefer. If you like to run early in the evening, here are some advantages of night running safely.
Improved sleep. Working out at night, in general, creates better sleep and allows your body to feel more energy the next day. A study found that moving your muscles at night may cause a high level of melatonin, making you feel sleepy at night.
Relaxes the body and mind. The stress level may be higher if you work outside or work from home. Running at night allows your body to breathe and relieves stress. Moreover, studies have shown that students who exercise or run after a long day tend to retain more knowledge than those who don’t.
Improved digestion. The majority of people consume more than the average amount of food throughout the day, especially during menstruation and pregnancy. The digestive system struggles when you binge eat. Running at night enables your metabolism to boost faster since it helps improve your gut health.
Time to spare. Running at night keeps you from waking up extra early so you can squeeze in a workout every morning. Meanwhile, you’ll have more time to enjoy your blanket while avoiding the alarm.
Mood improvement. The benefits of running at night include a reduced level of cortisol, a stress hormone that is typically highest during the day, helping lift your mood in the morning.
Minor disruptions to your working hours. Because work hours are usually 8am-5pm, you are less likely to sacrifice your job hours for a workout during the rest of the day.
Health Benefits of Running At Night
Strengthening muscles. You can build muscle by running safely at night, because you build more endurance, causing more muscles to be moved and developed.
Reduced risk of injury. The darkness at night allows your body to feel the need to run slower but more efficiently. This results in fewer injuries since you have a slower pace and have more room for training.
Synced body clock. You may run early in the evening to help your body clock return to its natural state if your sleep cycle is disrupted. This irregular sleep can lead to obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.
Running at Night Safely
There are some individuals who hesitate to run at night because of safety concerns. However, if you prefer to run at night, safety should always be your topmost priority. Here are some precautions that you can take to ensure that you are running safely at night.
- Always carry your phone. If you have a phone with you, you can use GPS to make sure you don’t get lost on unfamiliar routes.
- Skip the noise-cancelling headphones. Oftentimes, music keeps you motivated when you run or work out – however, you have to be able to hear what is going on around you to be alert for potential danger.
- Share your route with someone. If you tell someone where you’re going, you will feel more secure, since whatever happens, someone will know where to track you.
- Choose streets that are well-lit. In order to run safely at night, you should always choose routes with adequate light and nearby large establishments where danger cannot typically occur.
- Be alert. There is a delicate balance between being stressed and being unaware. Most people who run at night are thinking a lot to relieve stress that they forget to be aware of their surroundings.
- Take a friend running. If you want to run safely at night, you should run with a friend. This is fun and will help you feel safer since you are not alone.
- Wear light-colored clothing. Wearing light-colored running outfits at night can be helpful when you encounter a difficult situation because it makes you more visible.
Running at the right time highly depends on your lifestyle, schedule, and availability. Everyone is different. You can try running both morning and night to find out which plan you prefer.
However, choosing a schedule and sticking to it is crucial to allowing your body to adjust to your desired program. Whether you run at night or during the day, it is important that you run safely.